As a personal shopper and stylist, one of the biggest complaints I get from my clients is the lack of fashion-forward and trendy plus size clothing. These women want to wear the current trends, but many times find that the items they are looking for are not available in their size. They hate having to shop in specialty stores, or being forced to choose from a limited selection of pieces they don’t love from the back corner of a department store’s tiny plus size department.
It is hard to believe that even in 2015 the majority of fashion brands still alienate more than half of the population. Thankfully there is a growing number of brands who “get it” and prove that style has no size and that everyone deserves to be able to wear the latest trends.
I just discovered rue21’s new plus size line. From festival-ready, boho-chic looks to classic silhouettes, bold colors, and bright patterns, rue21 has an extensive plus size collection that demonstrates that beauty goes beyond a size 2. This brand new collection is extensive and includes everything from trendy junior’s apparel to intimates and swimwear.
Not only is the selection great, but the pricing is fabulous. Tired of paying more for the same item in a larger size? Not at rue21! Nearly every item is under $20 – fashion-forward and budget-friendly is what I like to call a win-win!
Here are some of my favorite pieces from their spring/summer collection:
1. Perforated A-Line Skirt – I love the lady-like, figure-flattering silhouette and the cutout detailing on the bottom adds just the right amount of edge.
2. Embroidered Peasant Top – Boho/70s vibes are HUGE this season and this top has the best of both. Pair this blouse with distressed, boyfriend jean shorts and sandals or high-waisted flares and wedges.
3. Retro Bikini – I am loving that vintage-inspired swimsuits are everywhere and this suit is proof that to get a bikini body all you need do is put your body in a bikini. Beaches need more plus size pinups 😉
4. Tie-Die Maxi Dress – This dress just makes me want to go on vacation. All that’s missing is a great sandal, an all-inclusive resort, and a MaiTai.
5. Plus Size Joggers – Sporty chic is the new black… or something… However you want to look at it, joggers (the lovechild of sweat pants and leggings) are HUGE right now (and super-comfy to boot). Pair them with your favorite baseball tee and chucks and you’re ready to rock your weekend. Comfy and cute for the win!
I wish more brands would follow suit and create their clothing in a wider variety of sizes. More companies are starting to see the demand, but too many are caught up in antiquated and exclusive fashion ideals. I love promoting brands that “get it” – that understand that all women are beautiful and want to feel beautiful, fresh, and current. They want a wardrobe that accentuates their personality and style. They don’t want to be relegated to back corners of department stores or plus brands that create shapeless and frumpy clothing. They want brands like rue21 who make clothing for young women that is actually designed with young women in mind. I can’t wait until the day when any woman can walk into any store and walk out with a killer outfit in her size… until then I’ll keep my clients (and my readers) up to date with where they can dress the body they have and still look and feel slammin’.
View the rue21’s full plus collection here.