Do you associate the new year with new clothes? Dying to know what to buy and wear in the year ahead? Look no further, I’ve put together 14 trends you’ll be wearing, shopping, and loving in 2014.
1. “Radiant Orchid” is Pantone’s color for 2014. This combination of purple, fuchsia, and pink looks good on a variety of skin tones and will surely add a fresh and current pop of color to your wardrobe.
2. Speaking of color, orange is another “it color” for 2014. From clothes and accessories to lipstick, these sunrise-worthy hues add some wow factor to whatever you’re wearing.
3. Wide leg trousers will be everywhere this spring, but don’t go ditching all of your skinnies. Keep your slim cut jeans and boyfriend cuts in rotation, and add some floor-skimming, wide leg pants into the mix. I’m dying for a pair in white – tres chic!
4. While we’re talking about pants, imagine the lovechild of tuxedo and track pants… that’s exactly what spring’s freshest take on the trouser looks like. Love!
5. Having a hard time thinking of spring while you’re freezing your buns off? Why not invest in a collarless coat? This new style is fresh, on-trend and will keep you warm through the rest of the [brutal] winter months.
6. The other jacket you’re bound to love in 2014, is the boxy and cropped (non-moto) jacket. Now don’t panic, you can still wear your biker-best, but try this boxy, shorter cut in a tweed, metallic, or graphic print to spice things up and add some visual interest to your basics.
7. If looser cuts get your mojo going, you’ll definitely want to pick up a shift blouse. Think of this structured staple as your T-shirt’s more sophisticated older sister. The shift blouse’s defined structure is refined without being stuffy and is the perfect compliment to your skinny pants and pencil skirts. Try it in a faux leather, dusty pink, or powder blue.
8. Just when you thought you had the skirt market cornered with your maxis, your minis, and your midis – in comes the tea length. Somewhere between the midi and the maxi, the tea length skirt is the ultimate in feminine silhouettes. Usually a fuller a-line that hits just above the ankle, this girly item is sure to add some retro charm to your wardrobe. Try it in a floral or pretty pastel.
9. and 10. Speaking of florals and pastels, those are the next two trends dying to make a splash in your wardrobe this year. They are everywhere from coats to dresses, shoes, accessories and more. These girlie prints and hues are huge for 2014. Wear them in structured cuts and rich fabrics to avoid looking like you raided your 9-year-old niece’s closet.
11. From sheer panels to embellishments, beading and fringe, 2014 is all about craftsmanship. Look for pieces that scream “I’m pretty!” with intricate and unique detailing.
12. Thank the Lord, the button down is here to stay. Hang on to your chambray, your basic white, your pop of color. You can wear it open, buttoned up, layered or alone. This year, try this classic style in a sheer fabric, modern hue, bold pattern, or with an embellished collar.
13. Can you believe I made it this long without talking about shoes?! (I know! Me either!) The pointy toe flat is the must-have shoe for spring. You can be as conservative or daring as you like, from basic black, to metallic, embellished, or funky patterns, it all works for springs go-to flat. Wear with dresses, skirts, and skinny jeans for a new twist on the ballet flat.
14. Last but certainly not least, chunky heels are back, better than ever, and making me wish I saved all my shoes from high school. Now, a sky high stiletto will always be a “do” and hold a place near and dear to my heart, but I’m sure I’m not the only one excited to wear a heel that won’t have me in fear of breaking an ankle all night long! Think retro, think ankle straps, think sturdy. And if you’re really feeling saucy, try them with socks!!!
Well, that about wraps up my fourteen in 2014. Did I miss anything? (Other than the dreaded CROP TOP, which I purposely omitted because it only looks good on prepubescent teens, Iron Man triathletes, and runway models. If you do not fall into any of the aforementioned categories, just don’t. OK? Don’t.)
But, really, what are you most excited to wear in 2014? (And don’t say skinny overalls, because those are awful too! Like, terrible, awful…)
Love you like I love thinking about all the clothes I want to buy this year,
PS- And since I love you so much, here are shoppable links to all the pretties in the collage above. xoxo
I’m trying really hard to not break my “Don’t’ Buy Anything in January” rule… but those leopard Forever 21 booties are screaming my name!!!! Ahhhhhhhhhhh!